Massimo Campigli (1895-1971)
As a young man Campigli was briefly involved with the Futurist movement in Milan, publishing a 'words in freedom' poem in the magazine Lacerba. In 1919 he moved to Paris and taught himself to paint, being inspired by the work of Picasso and Léger. From 1926 Campigli exhibited with the Novecento group and developed links with the Italiani di Parigi, an association of artists which included Alberto Savinio, Gino Severini and Filippo de Pisis. His discovery of Etruscan art at Rome's Villa Giulia in 1928 was a revelation. His palette grew paler and he began to use dry, fresco-like paint. By the 1940s a world occupied by languorous women was his only subject matter, except for the occasional self-portrait. His work enjoyed great success after the Second World War and he was given a room of his own at the 1948 Venice Biennale.

Massimo Campigli, Il Belvedere, 1930
© DACS 2007